Mahadevan's Monologues

If we had the vision and feeling of ordinary human life, it would be like hearing the grass grow and the squirrel’s heart beat and we should die of that roar which lies on the other side of silence. – George Eliot

Friday, February 02, 2007

APOLOGIA PRO VITA SUA


The title of this little piece is borrowed from the autobiography of Cardinal Newman.

I often used to wonder, why do I write.

Somerset Maugham once said that when we grow old, what would oppress us most would be not failing health or decreasing mental faculties, but the weight of memories. As I grow old, I gradually realize the significance of what Somerset Maugham said. However, instead of allowing memories to weigh me down, I thought it a little prudent to record them. Perhaps, it also satisfies the irrepressible urge to express oneself. Initially when I chose to write, I shared them with a few friends and as the response was less unfavourable and as a public domain was available, I decided to post them on a blog.

Our memories often consist of impressions about our relations and interactions with people. Therefore I started with a portrait of some of my friends and colleagues both alive and dead. Instead of merely recording facts and events, I added a tinge of humour by exaggerating a little here or twisting an anecdote there and in the process have attempted to make them more readable.

I have always been fascinated by the personal essays of Addison and Steel, A.G.Gardiner and Robert Lynd and in recent times, that of R.K.Narayan and Shobha De. To quote R.K.Narayan, ‘In personal essays you could see some of the author himself from the theme. The personal essay was moré enjoyable because it had the writer’s likes and dislikes, his observations always with a specific flavour or humour, sympathy, aversion, style, charm and oddity’. In these writings, my oddities would be clearly visible, be they my style of writing, method of observation, manner of description, pattern of mistakes or short comings. I also believe that our writings should reflect our personality, adorable or abominable they may be.

A man at my age should have the privilege to pontificate ‘Polonius’ like and therefore you will find aphorisms scattered in my posts and comments. As mere portraits would be biographical sketches, I have also drawn upon what is happening around us and have also been inspired by a few blogs I read and continue to read.

And finally, I realize that in the world of the Immortals, I am a lesser mortal, ‘beating in the void’, my ‘wings in vain’.


10 Comments:

  • At 2:59 AM, Blogger D LordLabak said…

    Loved the post but the title seems ambiguous.:-)

     
  • At 12:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thank You.

    Peter

     
  • At 1:17 PM, Blogger Usha said…

    Sometimes when I start writing something, I suddenly remember events from the past from some hidden recesses of memory for which I had not devoted conscious attention in a long time. This is an additional joy of writing. And sometimes while giving words to a painful memory or hurt from the past, i realise that they are not so painful or hurtful anymore. the healing aspect.
    With free space available and the added bonus of people reading it and commenting, my question would be why most people still are not motivated to write. We all have a story to tell but I guess some are shy to share it in public.

     
  • At 3:16 PM, Blogger Ardra said…

    came here from Usha's page and enjoyed going thru the archives too. shall come back often.

     
  • At 9:06 AM, Blogger passerby55 said…

    hello,

    I always thought you wrote because you miss playing cricket!

    I agree more than everything that memories indeed have a lot of weight.

    thankyou.

     
  • At 5:06 PM, Blogger Hip Grandma said…

    At our age we should share our experience for others to enjoy,learn a lesson or two and generally express one's self.The blog assures a certain degree of anonymity while expressing one's mind/heart whatever.This becomes imp. as one ages.

     
  • At 2:59 PM, Blogger Mahadevan said…

    Deepa:

    I plead guilty. Cardinal Newman's Latin words appealed to me and therefore I retained the original. The meaning is ' An apology for my life' - my Blog life.

    Peter: Thanks.

    Usha:

    Fully agree with you. When you choose to write, you can draw upon your inner resources and similarly hurt feelings are given softening touch.

    ardra:

    Thanks for visiting.

    Passerby 55

    Memory is a very potent resource. I have started an exclusive blog on Cricket.

    hipgrandma

    When we share, knowledge, information and experience, we become richer. Blogdom is a virtual world.

     
  • At 12:40 PM, Blogger Escape.... Great Escape said…

    Is 'regret' wrong ? Do memories weighing you down... signify regret? I think memories must be cherished and not be let to weigh you down. Either good or bad...

    Maybe I just did not get the idea behind the Maugham saying. I agree with blogging being a good tool but in most cases it is wasted.

    I am glad I came across your blog.

     
  • At 11:43 AM, Blogger Mahadevan said…

    By 'weighing down', Maugham means that at times we would be choked with emotions, struggling to relive those bygone days, if they were pleasant. Unpleasant ones would deprive us of peace of mind.

     
  • At 11:43 AM, Blogger Mahadevan said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home